How is SPAN involved?
- SPAN works with neighborhoods to review petition in terms of zoning classification, density, architectural elements, traffic or landscaping improvements.
- SPAN works with neighborhood leaders to evaluate potential impact on their neighborhood and greater SouthPark community.
- SPAN advocate on behalf of members for additional improvements or changes to project to ensure highest standards are met.
- SPAN is working with planning staff to update the 2000 SouthPark Small Area Plan as part of the 2040 Comprehensive Plan update
Please email Rezoning Committee (Rob Aulebach) for additional information about rezoning petitions in the SouthPark area.
Rezoning Activity – Pending
Rezoning Activity – Approved 2020
2020–073. (Seven Oaks at SouthPark- Blue Azalea). The developer will build 38 townhomes on a 4.8 acre site on Sharon View Rd (5 parcels). Zoning changed from R-3 to UR-2CD The final site plan attached here contains several changes requested by SPAN’s rezoning committee or adjacent neighborhoods. Key elements of the plan include new sidewalks, improvements to storm water system and a pedestrian pathway at the rear of the site.Other changes:
- Added rear cul-de-sac and removed round about shown on original site plan.
- Shifted buildings to align driveways and access to Sharon View.
- Reduced density by approx 20% – from 35 townhomes to 28 townhomes for the north Sharon View parcel (4 units per building vs 5 in previous layout)
- Increased building set backs along the Avignon property line w/ minimum of 26′ up to 49′ (comparable to R3 backyard setback requirements)
- Agreed to a 8′ landscape easement along Avignon property line and along back yard of adjacent property on south parcel (to be used for backyard screening / plantings)
- Added six (6) additional on-street parking spaces for the Beauclaire road connector to Avignon, along with 4 additional parking spaces off rear cul de sac.
2020-024 (The Fairview).Rezoning petition approved, but the developer did not move forward with purchase. Site has been sold to bank. Dominion Realty requested a rezoning of ± 1.827 acre site from O-1 to MUDD-O to build a residential community with up to 365 units and up to 1,500 square feet of non-residential uses within the principal building. A parking garage also will be built. The proposed building will be oriented toward Fairview Road. Maximum building height is 185 ft. 2019-174 (ReMax) Coltsgate Office Building. The petitioner is requesting a rezoning of a 1.2 acre site on Coltsgate Rd, to allow for the construction of a new 6-story mixed-use office building and 5-story attached parking garage. The current office building would be demolished.as part of the project. The new building would have approximately 6,000 sf sq. feet:of office space and 3,000 sq. ft of retail. The retail would be on the ground floor of the office building and in the parking garage fronting Coltsgate Rd.
- At SPAN ‘s request, the Petitioner reduced the amount of retail requested to 3,000 sq. ft.
- SPAN has also requested that the Petitioner clarify view lines from Fairview Rd. and clarify signage. SPAN also has asked petitioner to do the project at one time rather than the proposed two-part staging or to show proof of off-site parking for employees and construction workers.
- SPAN has also requested that the petitioner contribute funds to the SP Loop
- A public hearing (virtual council meeting) was held in April. SPAN has sent letter to council requesting that the Petitioner make above revisions. .
2019-020 The Petitioner had requested that the current R-3 and R-22 rezoning be changed to UR-3 CD to allow up to 115- for sale -townhomes and apartments to be built at eh corner of Park and Fairview. The petition was withdrawn as the developer could not resolve deed restriction conditions.
Summary of Rezoning Activity – 2017-2020
- Click on the link to review rezoning activity from 2017 – 2020 Summary of Rezoning Activity
Construction Update (11/2020)
The following projects are under construction:or have been completed.
- Restoration Hardware completed. Project includes a rooftop restaurant.
- AC Marriott -Hotel has opened and includes rooftop bar.
- The Apex (Childress Klein), In final construction phase.The apartment building (The Elements has begun leasing). Project includes church.
- The Hazel (Zom Living), In final construction phase. Two of the three commercial spaces have been leased.
- The Barclay at SouthPark (Liberty Health Care). Construction is in final stage. The developer has provided funding to connect to Fairmeadows Swim Club and is building a segment of the Loop.
- The Colony (Synco Properties). Construction of Phase 1 (330 apartments) is underway. Construction timeline for commercial uses have been delayed due to COVID-19. Project will include a Publix grocery store.
- Sharon Towers expansion. Construction is underway. Project will include a small park at the corner of Sharon and Hazelton.