How is SPAN involved?
- SPAN works with neighborhoods to review petition in terms of zoning classification, density, architectural elements, traffic or landscaping improvements.
- SPAN works with neighborhood leaders to evaluate potential impact on their neighborhood and greater SouthPark community.
- SPAN advocate on behalf of members for additional improvements or changes to project to ensure highest standards are met.
- SPAN is working with planning staff to ensure that the proposed Unified Development Ordinance reflects residents’ vision for the area.
Please email Rezoning Committee (Rob Aulebach) for additional information about rezoning petitions in the SouthPark area.
2022 Rezoning Activity
- 2022-027 (Apex 2) Approved.
Childress Klein filed an administrative revision to their site plan for phase 2. As part of their petition, the developer agreed to contribute funds to construct a loop segment from their site on Carnegie to the intersection of Carnegie and Cameron Valley Pkwy.
- 2022-080 (Trianon Condo site) PENDING
Related Group has filed a rezoning petition to rezone an R-17 site (Trianon Condo) to MUDD-O to build a mixed use residential development with some retail (733 residential units, 60,000 sq.ft. of retail and 24 town homes) over a 9 acre site. The Rezoning Committee along with representatives from adjacent neighborhoods met with the petitioner repeatedly over several months to resolve issues regarding zoning classification, height, density and traffic. Due to differences among SPAN’s membership, the SPAN Board chose to not take a position on the rezoning petition. Instead, the Rezoning Committee focused on ensuring that the developer included several desired benefits including funding to the Loop and City’s Housing Trust Fund in their petition. While the the developer made several changes to the original site plan including removing the office building and dropping the building heights in several areas, opposition from surrounding neighborhoods remains. To review recent changes and recap of public hearing:
- community meeting summary
- Revised site plan
- Public Hearing recording starts at 20 min mark
- City staff recommendations
- Zoning Committee report
2021 Rezoning Activity
- 2021-147 –(SouthPark Towers) PENDING
The developer is requesting a rezoning to add apartments and additional retail uses at the site. The 300 new apartment units would be built where an existing parking garage is located. As part of this rezoning, SPAN has asked the petitioner to fund and construct a Loop segment along Piedmont Town Center Dr. that would connect to a segment under construction by The Barclays at SouthPark on Barclay.
- 2021-247 – (Morrocroft Centre) Approved
Highwood Group requested a rezoning of two office buildings adjacent to the Library to allow up to 50,000 sq. ft of office space and 14,000 sq. ft. of retail to existing office building site. As part of the rezoning, the developer agreed to help fund and manage the construction of intersection improvements at Cameron Valley/Carnegie blvd. and to create new pedestrian connections from their site to the Library.
- 2021-265 (single family home on Colony) PENDING
Blackwater Capital Partners has filed a petition to rezone a single family home on Colony rd to UR-22 cd to build 9 townhomes. SPAN is working with petitioner and city to reduce proposed # of units and resolve other ingress/egress issues.
- 2021-151 (Phillips Place Movie Theater) APPROVED
Lincoln Harris will build a 225 ft. office building on the site currently occupied by Regal Cinema. In addition to funding a Loop segment, the developer will contribute $100K towards Loop project if project does not begin within specfied time. See link to Revised Site
2020 Rezoning Activity
2020–073. (Seven Oaks at SouthPark). City council approved a rezoning petition to build 38 town homes on a 4.8 acre site on Sharon View Rd (5 parcels). Zoning was changed from R-3 to UR-2CD The final site plan attached here contains several changes requested by SPAN’s rezoning committee working on behalf of adjacent neighborhoods. Key elements of the revised plan include new sidewalks, improvements to storm water system and a pedestrian pathway to be located at the rear of the site.Other changes that were made to final plan include:
- Added rear cul-de-sac and removed round about shown on original site plan.
- Shifted buildings to align driveways and access to Sharon View.
- Reduced density by approx 20% – from 35 townhomes to 28 townhomes for the north Sharon View parcel (4 units per building vs 5 in previous layout)
- Increased building set backs along the Avignon property line w/ minimum of 26′ up to 49′ (comparable to R3 backyard setback requirements)
- Agreed to a 8′ landscape easement along Avignon property line and along back yard of adjacent property on south parcel (to be used for backyard screening / plantings)
- Added six (6) additional on-street parking spaces for the Beauclaire road connector to Avignon, along with 4 additional parking spaces off rear cul de sac.
2020-024 (The Fairview). The rezoning petition was approved, but the developer did not move forward with purchase and sold site to a bank. Dominion Realty had requested a rezoning of ± 1.827 acre site from O-1 to MUDD-O to build a residential community with up to 365 units and up to 1,500 square feet of non-residential uses within the principal building. Maximum building height is 185 ft.
2019-174 (New ReMax Office Building). The rezoning petition was approved, but work has not yet started. The rezoning request was for a 1.2 acre site on Coltsgate Rd, to allow for the construction of a new 6-story mixed-use office building and 5-story attached parking garage. The current office building would be demolished.as part of the project. The new building will have approximately 6,000 sf sq. feet:of office space and 3,000 sq. ft of retail space. The retail would be on the ground floor of the office building and in the parking garage fronting Coltsgate Rd. At SPAN ‘s request, the Petitioner reduced the amount of retail requested to 3,000 sq. ft. and to stage project to include parking for workers and employees. While SPAN also asked the developer to donate funds to the Loop project, they declined.
2019-020 The rezoning petition to develop town homes at the corner of Park and Fairview Rds. was withdrawn due to unresolved resolve deed restriction issues. The site was sold to Copper Builders who plan to build 6 single-family homes. Construction is ongoing (April 2021).
Summary of Rezoning Activity – 2017-2020
- Click on the link to review rezoning activity from 2017 – 2020 Summary of Rezoning Activity
Rezoning Construction Update (04/2021)
- Phillips Place Redevelopment. New building for Restoration Hardware complete. Other projects including redevelopment of movie theater on hold due to pandemic.
- AC Marriott -Hotel project was completed in 2020. New hotel includes rooftop bar.
- The Apex (Childress Klein), Project includes residential apartments, retail, hotel and church. Construction is ongoing, The apartment project (The Elements) has started leasing. As part of the project, the developer will make several traffic related improvements on Sharon Rd and fund a segment of the Loop.
- The Hazel (Zom Living), Project is In final construction phase and has started leasing. The site includes 3 ground-floor commercial spaces of which two have been leased to personal service uses.As part of the project, the developer agreed to help fund sidewalk improvements on Barclay Downs Dr.
- The Barclay at SouthPark (Liberty Health Care). Construction of Hotel is complete. Construction of CCU is in final stages. As part of the rezoning, the developer provided funding to connect Fairmeadows Swim Club to the site as well as funding for a segment of the Loop.
- The Colony (Synco Properties). Construction of Phase 1 (330 apartments) is underway. Construction timeline for commercial uses have been delayed due to COVID-19. The retail component includes a Publix grocery store. As part of the project, the developer agreed to fund a segment of the Loop and improve culverts on Colony Rd between Runnymede and Ferncliff Rd.
- Sharon Towers Expansion. Construction is underway on the CCU segment. The wellness center and retail components are delayed due to Covid-19. The developer made significant improvements to the Sharon View/Sharon Rd intersection and develop a small park at the corner of Sharon and Hazelton..