How is SPAN involved?
- SPAN works with neighborhoods to review petition in terms of zoning classification, density, architectural elements, traffic or landscaping improvements.
- SPAN works with neighborhood leaders to evaluate potential impact on their neighborhood and greater SouthPark community.
- SPAN advocate on behalf of members for additional improvements or changes to project to ensure highest standards are met.
- SPAN is working with planning staff to ensure that the proposed Unified Development Ordinance reflects residents’ vision for the area.
Please email Rezoning Committee (Rob Aulebach) for additional information about rezoning petitions in the SouthPark area.
April 21, 2021- no petitions pending.
2020 Rezoning Activity
2020–073. (Seven Oaks at SouthPark). City council approved a rezoning petition to build 38 town homes on a 4.8 acre site on Sharon View Rd (5 parcels). Zoning was changed from R-3 to UR-2CD The final site plan attached here contains several changes requested by SPAN’s rezoning committee working on behalf of adjacent neighborhoods. Key elements of the revised plan include new sidewalks, improvements to storm water system and a pedestrian pathway to be located at the rear of the site.Other changes that were made to final plan include:
- Added rear cul-de-sac and removed round about shown on original site plan.
- Shifted buildings to align driveways and access to Sharon View.
- Reduced density by approx 20% – from 35 townhomes to 28 townhomes for the north Sharon View parcel (4 units per building vs 5 in previous layout)
- Increased building set backs along the Avignon property line w/ minimum of 26′ up to 49′ (comparable to R3 backyard setback requirements)
- Agreed to a 8′ landscape easement along Avignon property line and along back yard of adjacent property on south parcel (to be used for backyard screening / plantings)
- Added six (6) additional on-street parking spaces for the Beauclaire road connector to Avignon, along with 4 additional parking spaces off rear cul de sac.
2020-024 (The Fairview). The rezoning petition was approved, but the developer did not move forward with purchase and sold site to a bank. Dominion Realty had requested a rezoning of ± 1.827 acre site from O-1 to MUDD-O to build a residential community with up to 365 units and up to 1,500 square feet of non-residential uses within the principal building. Maximum building height is 185 ft.
2019-174 (New ReMax Office Building). The rezoning petition was approved, but work has not yet started. The rezoning request was for a 1.2 acre site on Coltsgate Rd, to allow for the construction of a new 6-story mixed-use office building and 5-story attached parking garage. The current office building would be demolished.as part of the project. The new building will have approximately 6,000 sf sq. feet:of office space and 3,000 sq. ft of retail space. The retail would be on the ground floor of the office building and in the parking garage fronting Coltsgate Rd. At SPAN ‘s request, the Petitioner reduced the amount of retail requested to 3,000 sq. ft. and to stage project to include parking for workers and employees. While SPAN also asked the developer to donate funds to the Loop project, they declined.
2019-020 The rezoning petition to develop town homes at the corner of Park and Fairview Rds. was withdrawn due to unresolved resolve deed restriction issues. The site was sold to Copper Builders who plan to build 6 single-family homes. Construction is ongoing (April 2021).
Summary of Rezoning Activity – 2017-2020
- Click on the link to review rezoning activity from 2017 – 2020 Summary of Rezoning Activity
Rezoning Construction Update (04/2021)
- Phillips Place Redevelopment. New building for Restoration Hardware complete. Other projects including redevelopment of movie theater on hold due to pandemic.
- AC Marriott -Hotel project was completed in 2020. New hotel includes rooftop bar.
- The Apex (Childress Klein), Project includes residential apartments, retail, hotel and church. Construction is ongoing, The apartment project (The Elements) has started leasing. As part of the project, the developer will make several traffic related improvements on Sharon Rd and fund a segment of the Loop.
- The Hazel (Zom Living), Project is In final construction phase and has started leasing. The site includes 3 ground-floor commercial spaces of which two have been leased to personal service uses.As part of the project, the developer agreed to help fund sidewalk improvements on Barclay Downs Dr.
- The Barclay at SouthPark (Liberty Health Care). Construction of Hotel is complete. Construction of CCU is in final stages. As part of the rezoning, the developer provided funding to connect Fairmeadows Swim Club to the site as well as funding for a segment of the Loop.
- The Colony (Synco Properties). Construction of Phase 1 (330 apartments) is underway. Construction timeline for commercial uses have been delayed due to COVID-19. The retail component includes a Publix grocery store. As part of the project, the developer agreed to fund a segment of the Loop and improve culverts on Colony Rd between Runnymede and Ferncliff Rd.
- Sharon Towers Expansion. Construction is underway on the CCU segment. The wellness center and retail components are delayed due to Covid-19. The developer made significant improvements to the Sharon View/Sharon Rd intersection and develop a small park at the corner of Sharon and Hazelton..