CNIP – SouthPark
SPAN has been working with the City and other key stakeholders to identify projects that will be funded through a $15M bond package approved in 2017. Working with consultants hired by the City, SPAN identified the following goals and objectives to guide infrastructure improvements in the SouthPark area that will help SouthPark evolves from a suburban, disconnected, car-dependent shopping area into a more urban, pedestrian friendly district.
Project objectives for the SouthPark CNIP are to:
- Support continued evolution of the Mixed-Use Activity Center by accommodating access by all modes;
- Improve bicycle and pedestrian access to the Center from surrounding neighborhoods;
- Enhance peoples’ ability to move around within the Center by walking, biking, and using transit (create a “park once” environment);
- Provide better access to existing greenspaces and support the desire for more greenspace in the public realm; and
- Support the density, vibrancy, and strong sense of place expected in Mixed-Use Activity Centers.
Based on the above priorities, the following projects were selected. Click on the link for further information about each project including time line for completion:
- Enhanced Crosswalks(completed June 2020), Two crosswalks were improved to make them safer for pedestrians. New Loop logo logo was added to crosswalks.
- Backlot Trail-Phase 1. The project includes a pedestrian pathway through county-owned property and a pedestrian crosswalk on Park Dr. South and Park Rd that will allow SouthPark employees and residents to more safely access Park Rd Park and the X-CLT trail. While the entire backlot trail is not funded, when complete, it would run from Sharon Rd to Park Rd Park.
- Barclay Downs Sidewalk Project will start Spring 2021 and add new sidewalks and street trees to the east side of the street from Runnymede Lane to Scofield Rd.
- Briar Creek Greenway Wayfinding
- Southpark Loop Framework Plan. When completed, the Loop will be a 3-mile urban trail that connects several major shopping centers or destinations within the SouthPark area. See the following reports or links to the city’s website.